Friday, February 20, 2015

Side-Quest: Disabling V-Sync in Mass Effect 3

Waiting for my graphics card to get back from its second warranty repair (c'mon, Asus, you're better than this!). Meanwhile, I'm getting by with my backup video card, a Radeon 6670 with 1GB of GDDR5. Needless to say, graphics performance is greatly reduced, to put it mildly. People wouldn't need "backup" graphics cards, of course, if their primary hardware functioned as it should.

Having to turn a lot of settings down, but one thing I don't want to compromise: resolution. And right there, I am really limiting myself, but there it is. My monitor has 1080p native, and if I go with anything else in a large number of games, the visuals simply look like crap. So 1080p it is then. That means lots of jaggies and screen tearing, unfortunately, because Vertical Sync causes a lot of lag on an under-powered system.

TL:DR.

Mass Effect 3 has appreciable stutter and lag when running on my 6670. The problem is that the card is not powerful enough to render the game at a constant 60fps, so all that needs to be done is to disable V-sync. But there is no option to disable Vertical Sync in its options menu. It is still possible to turn it off, however, by editing the GamerSettings.ini in the Config folder (always back up core files before altering them!) Thanks to user evilsofa on hardforum.com for this solution.

1. Find GamerSettings.ini, and open it in Notepad.
2. At the bottom of the [SystemSettings] section, add these three lines:
UseVSync=True
SmoothFrameRate=True
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

I only need the V-sync setting, so I guess you could just add that without the other two. Since it was listed as part of the solution, though, I'm including it.

3. Change the "UseVSync" value from True to False. Click "save" and exit Notepad.



And voila! Stutter eliminated. Mission accomplished.
Collateral Damage: Screen tearing is now omnipresent.

No comments:

Post a Comment