Thursday, February 26, 2015

On Game Length

With so many outlets dissing on The Order: 1886 for its length, it seems the perfect time to discuss acceptable game length. Prominent game critics have all shared their opinions. And many of the opinions are as indefinite as any logical discussion of the issue should be. Here's why.

Everyone plays games in their own way. What is five hours for one person may be ten hours or more for another. It takes me about 12 hours to complete an Alan Wake walkthrough - another 2 hours if both additional episodes are included. Friends have completed Alan Wake in 6 hours. It took me 15 hours to complete Remember Me. Others have done it in 8. I tend to be a "slow" gamer who does not see the value of speed runs (but if speed runs stir your blood, good for you!).

And the length of a game frequently has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Remember Me stands as one of the great missed opportunities; there was so much that could have been done with the fantastic world that was created. I purchased it, linear story-line and all, for $10. It took me 15 hours to complete. I feel I got my money's worth, because I found it gripping and enjoyable. And I'll be replaying it at some point in the future. Dishonored is a short game; the main story-line can be completed in 8 hours or less (though replayability is high). I purchased the GOTY edition for around $12, and feel I got my money's worth. I purchased Just Cause 2 for $5 (with all the DLC), and currently have over 100 hours on it. Is it a better game than Dishonored or Remember Me? I think Just Cause 2 does different things than those games, and comparing it with the other two isn't a fair comparison. Play-time shouldn't even enter the conversation.

This does not to give license to game companies to rip consumers off, though. So at some point, play-time HAS to enter the discussion. That is the conundrum. Who wants to spend $20 for 2 hours of gameplay? (Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes) Who wants to spend $10 for a mobile-ported game that is the only released part of what was projected to be a 3-part series? (Deus Ex: The Fall) Even Alan Wake (which has special associations for me) isn't exactly inviting replays; and the sequel / expandalone, American Nightmare, is barely 3 hours long for $10.

The bottom line is, what do you value in video games, and how much are you prepared to pay for it?

Do your own research when purchasing any game (or anything online, for that matter). Read the reviews, enter the forums. Though even there, misinformation and spite is wide-spread. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a game trashed in the forums because the game did not do what people thought it should, or did it in a different way (Thief 2014, anyone?). If The Order: 1886 ever comes to PC, I'll probably be picking it up - if I can get it for around $7.50 - $12. Because that is what 6-10 hours of narrative-driven gameplay is worth to me. What is it worth to you?


No comments:

Post a Comment